Southwest Breakfast Bake
Want to spice up breakfast a little bit? This Southwest breakfast bake gives you that mildly spicy flavor you love mixed in with loads of veggies, and of course egg whites! 2 cups of egg whites to be exact. This mouthwatering breakfast is made with the equivalent of about 2 dozen eggs. It's definitely a good one to make for a group. Or, make a pan for yourself and you have breakfast for a few days at least. It's got all of your breakfast favorites including eggs and hash browns. We load it all up with healthy veggies and everyone walks away from the table with a smile on their face. Obviously, we've omitted meat from this recipe (it's vegetarian friendly), but if you prefer to have a little extra protein, feel free to add turkey bacon, turkey sausage or ham to make it your way. That's one of the things we love about a dish like this - You can do it up any way you want it! This recipe is amazing as-is and you won't miss anything, so give it a try next time you want a southwest inspired breakfast that can easily feed a group!
- 8 oz shredded hash brown potatoes thawed
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/3 cup onion finely chopped
- 3 large whole eggs
- 2 cups plain MuscleEgg organic egg whites
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup fat free cheddar cheese
- 2 pieces brown rice tortillas chopped into tortilla chip size
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 cup salsa of choice optional
- 1 Large thinly sliced avocado optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.
In a large bowl or blender, add eggs, egg whites, milk, and taco seasoning, then mix until well combined.
Add hash browns to the bottom of dish.
Layer with veggies
Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper over the top.
Slowly pour egg mixture over veggies.
Bake for 35 minutes until egg is nearly completely set.
Add sliced tortillas on top of egg mixture.
Broil for an additional 5 minutes until tortillas are browned and crisped. Keep an eye on this!
Top with sliced avocado, salsa, and cilantro if desired.