“costa rican refried rice and beans” by Mackenzie Mollo Today’s recipe is a traditional Costa Rican dish that is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It makes use of Salsa Lizano, Costa Rica’s famed condiment, which is very much like Worcestershire sauce but sweeter and thicker. Let us get right to it!
- 8 large egg whites (or an equivalent amount of liquid egg whites)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of Salsa Lizano (feel free to add more to taste)
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) of black beans (drained, rinsed)
- 1/4 cup of canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 2 large cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/2 medium-sized red bell pepper (seeded and diced into small pieces)
- 1 small yellow onion (diced into small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup of long-grain white rice
- Soft corn tortillas (optional)
- Put the rice plus a big pinch of salt in a three-quart saucepan.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Switch to low heat, cover the saucepan and cook the rice for about 15 minutes or until it absorbs the water.
- Remove from heat. Cover and set aside.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of the canola oil in a four-quart saucepan and set over medium heat.
- Add in the bell pepper, garlic, onion and a pinch of salt. Cook for about three minutes or until the ingredients turn soft. Stir occasionally.
- Add in the cumin and cook for another 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Pour in the tomato sauce. Cook for another minute. Stir continuously.
- Add in the beans and pour in a cup of water. Simmer for about four minutes.
- Add in the rice. Mix well.
- Mix in the Salsa Lizano. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in what is left of the canola oil into a 12-inch skillet. Coat evenly by swirling the pan. Set over medium heat.
- Put in the egg whites. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about three minutes over low heat.
- Put the rice and beans mixture on a plate.
- Slide two egg whites on top. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Add in the soft corn tortillas.
- Serve warm.
- This recipe makes four servings.