“Dandelion Greens” by Darya Pino Today’s recipe is a healthy snack option that makes use of dandelion greens, which are the perfect substitute for the difficult-to-find Italian puntarelle leaves, egg whites, pancetta and croutons made from stale bread. What you need
- 2 large room temperature egg whites (or an equivalent amount of liquid egg whites)
- 1/2-lb. bunch of dandelion greens
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 anchovy fillet (rinsed if salted, drained if oil-packed)
- 1/2 medium clove garlic
- 4 ounces of pancetta (sliced into thin ribbons)
- 1 cup of stale crusty bread (diced into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Fill a one-quart saucepan with water and set over high heat.
- As soon as the water boils, add in the egg whites and switch to a low enough heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Cook the eggs for eight minutes.
- Drain immediately and let cool.
- Cut the stems off the dandelion leaves.
- Tear the leaves into bite-size bits.
- Pour half a cup of extra-virgin olive oil into a heavy-duty 10-inch skillet. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add in the bread cubes and cook for about two minutes or until they turn golden brown. Stir occasionally using a slotted spoon.
- Spoon the croutons onto a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Add the pancetta into the skillet. Cook for about two minutes or until crisp. Stir constantly and keep the pieces from sticking to one another.
- Let drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Crush the garlic to a paste using the side of a knife and put in a large salad bowl. Add in the anchovy fillet and mash them together using the back part of a wooden spoon.
- Mix in the lemon juice.
- Drizzle with what is left of the extra-virgin olive oil. Mix everything together with the spoon.
- Add in the dandelion greens. Toss well.
- Add in the pancetta and croutons. Toss again.
- Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Add in the eggs. Toss one last time.
- This recipe takes no more than 20 minutes to prepare and makes four tasty servings. Stay tuned for more egg white recipes in the coming weeks!