- 2 Scoops Whey Protein of Choice (I used unflavored as I didn’t want to take away from ANY of the banana flavor)
- 1/2 medium banana (as discussed above, frozen and quickly thawed bananas seem to taste best but any ripe banana will do)
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Wheat Bran (not to be confused with Oat Bran)
- 3/4 cup MuscleEgg Vanilla Egg Whites (gives the muffin a hint of vanilla and a sweet after taste) – Regular Liquid Egg Whites can be used as well.
- 1/2 tsp Xanthum Gum (This natural powder acts as a binding agent in recipes that lack flour or yeast – found in most grocery stores now-a-days but to be safe check Whole Foods, Sprouts, or your health food store)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 oz crush Shelled Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Using a small muffin pan, either spray non-stick oil in muffin holes or better yet use muffin cups for easier removal and nicer presentation.
- Combine Whey Protein powder, 1/2 Banana, Wheat Bran, MuscleEgg Egg Whites, Xanthum Gum, Baking Powder in a blender or Bullet (if you have one)
- Quickly blend up ingredients insuring that the banana is liquified with the rest of the ingredients and not chunky. — this truly released the banana flavor.
- Using a mallet, meat tenderizer or your a coffee grinder quickly grind or smash walnuts until small crumbs are formed. – Add to the rest of the ingredients but save the larger pieces for the tops of the muffins.
- Pour batter evenly into (6) muffin cups – about halfway full
- Add larger pieces of walnuts to the top of the batter
- Bake for 12-15 minutes depending on the strength of your oven (begin to check on them at 10 minutes as they rise quickly.
- Remove and place on cooling rack
- Eat them warm with my favorite Walden Farms Pancake Syrup or your choice of sugar free syrup or jelly. Delish!